Abu Dhabi Pushes Tourism Ambitions Despite Iran War Tensions
Even as conflict involving Iran sends shockwaves across the Middle East, Abu Dhabi is refusing to slow its ambitious tourism expansion plans.
The capital of the United Arab Emirates has faced direct security concerns following missile and drone attacks linked to the ongoing regional conflict. Some strikes targeted infrastructure connected to tourism, raising concerns about safety and the UAE’s carefully cultivated image as a luxury global destination.
Yet rather than retreat, Abu Dhabi is choosing to invest even more heavily in tourism, culture and entertainment.
“We are doubling down on our tourism ecosystem as a whole,” said Mohamed Khalifa Al Mubarak, chairman of Abu Dhabi’s Department of Culture and Tourism, during an interview with CNN.
A Billion-Dollar Bet On Entertainment
On May 14, Abu Dhabi announced plans to invest $1.7 billion into a massive immersive entertainment venue known as Sphere.
The project, operated by Sphere Entertainment, is inspired by the original Sphere venue in Las Vegas, which opened in 2023 and quickly became famous for hosting performances by artists including U2 and Phish.
The Abu Dhabi version is expected to rise on Yas Island and form part of the emirate’s broader effort to position itself as one of the world’s leading entertainment and tourism destinations.
According to Al Mubarak, the project sends a strong message about the emirate’s long-term direction.
“Abu Dhabi is open, ambitious, and unwavering in its direction,” he said in a statement accompanying the investment announcement.
Building A Post-Oil Economy
For years, Abu Dhabi has invested billions into transforming itself from an oil-dependent economy into a global tourism, culture and business hub.
Major developments include the Saadiyat Island Cultural District, home to the internationally recognised Louvre Abu Dhabi and the soon-to-open Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.
The emirate has also expanded luxury hospitality, entertainment venues and international events in a bid to attract millions of global visitors annually.
According to Abu Dhabi’s tourism authorities, the emirate welcomed 26.6 million visitors and nearly six million hotel guests in 2025 alone.
Officials now aim to increase annual visitors to 39.3 million by 2030 while boosting tourism’s contribution to the economy to approximately $24.5 billion.
War Brings New Challenges
Those ambitions, however, are now unfolding against the backdrop of regional instability.
The war involving Iran, the United States and Israel has triggered security concerns across the Gulf region, including in the UAE.
Drone attacks have reportedly targeted airports and tourist-related infrastructure in the country. One strike near a nuclear facility last Sunday caused a fire and briefly raised fears over nuclear safety.
The International Atomic Energy Agency warned that the incident had “threatened nuclear safety in the country,” although Abu Dhabi authorities later confirmed there had been no radioactive leak and no danger to the public.
The conflict has also disrupted tourism flows.
Hotel occupancy rates in Abu Dhabi during the Eid al-Fitr holiday period reportedly fell by 45% compared to the previous year, according to data from CoStar.
Flight cancellations added further pressure. Although UAE airspace restrictions were lifted in early May, several international airlines have yet to fully resume services.
Lufthansa, for example, has suspended flights to Abu Dhabi until late October.
Signs Of Recovery Begin To Emerge
Despite the setbacks, Abu Dhabi officials insist tourism activity is beginning to recover.
Al Mubarak told CNN that regional travel demand is already improving.
“Regional tourism is really picking up right now,” he said.
The emirate’s flagship carrier, Etihad Airways, is currently operating at roughly 80% capacity.
Flight tracking data also suggests traffic through Zayed International Airport is gradually increasing again, although still below pre-conflict levels.
Tourism economists believe perception will play a crucial role in determining how quickly the sector rebounds.
Aaron Goldring, senior economist at Oxford Economics, said restoring confidence will likely require major marketing efforts.
“The length of the conflict will impact how long it will take to recover,” he explained.
Playing The Long Game
Even with current tensions, many analysts believe Abu Dhabi’s long-term tourism strategy remains intact.
Professor Nancy Gard McGehee of Virginia Tech described the UAE as a country with the resources and planning capability to weather temporary setbacks.
“It’s a long game for the UAE and other Middle Eastern destinations,” she said.
“They are a wealthy country and have a sophisticated tourism planning strategy.”
That long-term thinking is visible across multiple ongoing projects.
Construction on the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi continues ahead of its expected opening later this year, while entertainment giant Disney recently announced plans for a new theme park in Abu Dhabi.
“The strategic logic of our Abu Dhabi plans is unchanged,” Disney said in a recent earnings report.
Tourism As A Statement Of Resilience
For Abu Dhabi, tourism is now about more than attracting visitors.
It has become part of a larger effort to project stability, ambition and resilience during a period of geopolitical uncertainty.
Officials appear determined to show that even regional conflict will not derail the emirate’s long-term transformation into a global tourism and cultural powerhouse.
“We are long-term thinkers,” Al Mubarak said.
“Like any strategy, you’re always going to have some roadblocks.”
