Monaco, Marseille, Besiktas, AC Milan, Juventus, Inter, Roma and PSG sanctioned by UEFA
The First Chamber of the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB), chaired by Sunil Gulati, has announced a series of decisions involving clubs that participated in the 2021-22 UEFA club competitions.
It has been determined that AC Milan, Monaco, Roma, Besiktas, Inter, Juventus, Marseille and Paris Saint-Germain all failed to break-even financially, as per competition rules.
The review covered the financial years 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. However, the financial years 2020 and 2021 were subject to the Covid emergency measures aimed at neutralising the adverse impact of the pandemic.
Under these measures, the financial years 2020 and 2021 were assessed as a single period and the clubs were allowed specific Covid-19 adjustments.
These eight clubs accumulated losses of 172 million euros. These amounts will be withheld from the revenues these clubs earn from participating in UEFA club competitions.
Of this amount, 26 million euros (15%) will be paid in full while the remaining balance of 146 million euros (85%) is conditional upon these clubs meeting the targets set out in their respective settlement agreements.
The settlement agreements cover a period of 3 or 4 years and clubs commit to achieving interim annual targets, and to implementing conditional financial and sporting measures in case of non-compliance with such targets.
The four-year settlement agreement differs in that it provides for an additional season to comply with the football winnings rule, but includes unconditional sporting restrictions on the registration of new players applicable from the 2022-23 season.
Roma and Inter opted for a 4-year settlement agreement, while all other clubs opted for a three-year period.
In addition, the CFCB First Chamber found that Santa Clara and Anderlecht reported minor breaches of the balancing requirements. Santa Clara was fined 10,000 euros.
Anderlecht was fined 100,000 euros, unless the club’s aggregate break-even result for the financial years 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 complies with the break-even requirement.
In addition, during the 2021-22 season, the First Chamber of the CFCB continued to monitor the clubs already under observation, namely AEK Athens, Lille, Istanbul Basaksehir and Porto.
Finally, the First Chamber of the CFCB also noted that 19 other clubs that participated in the UEFA 2021-22 club competitions, namely Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Barcelona, Basel, Union Berlin, Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, Leicester City, Manchester City. Lyon, Glasgow Rangers, Real Betis, Royal Antwerp, Sevilla, Lazio, Napoli, Trabzonspor, Wolfsburg and West Ham United were all able to technically comply with the balancing requirement.
This was due to the application of the COVID-19 emergency measures and/or because they benefited from historical positive balancing results.
This article was originally published by Felix Diaz on Marca.