Tyson stops Whyte, Vows to Retire

WBC champion Tyson Fury defeated fellow Briton Dillian Whyte with a spectacular one-punch finish in the sixth round and subsequently announced his retirement from fighting.
Fury won a tough fight before unleashing a powerful right uppercut.

Whyte rose to his feet excellently inside the count before collapsing towards the referee as the bout was called off.

Fury, who also held his Ring Magazine belt, remains unbeaten in 33 fights, while Whyte, who suffered his third loss in 31 fights, fell short of his maiden world championship shot.

If Fury decides to retire, he would lose out on a chance to fight for the undisputed title – a bout that may take place later this year – as well as a chance to solidify his legacy as Britain’s best ever heavyweight.

There was an explosive atmosphere like no other for a battle regarded by some as the greatest all-British heavyweight dust-up in history, with 94,000 spectators in attendance – a post-war British record.

Boos rang out across the renowned stadium as a pumped-up Whyte let out his characteristic wolf-like howl before entering the ring.

Fury’s ring walk was spectacular. It started with Don McLean’s ‘American Pie,’ moved on to Notorious B.I.G’s ‘Juicy,’ and finished with Kings of Leon’s ‘Sex on Fire.’ Fury then perched on a throne as pyrotechnics shot into the sky, before making his way to the ring.

As the two men touched gloves, he towered over Whyte. Fury intimated before the bout that he may turn to southpaw and counter Whyte’s lethal left hook, but it was Whyte who came out as a southpaw in a cagey first round.

As the war of mind games proceeded, it was Fury’s time to switch from orthodox in the second round, with the champion edging the first two rounds.

In the third round, he delivered a powerful two-punch combination, leading Whyte to lunge at his opponent. But the challenger was unable to get close to Fury, who utilized his height and reach advantage to keep Whyte at distance throughout the bout.

In a tense fourth round, the competition really heated up. When urged to break, Whyte connected, visibly agitating Fury.

Mark Lyson yelled at the boxers twice as the referee fought to keep control of the two guys weighing a combined 37 stone.

Whyte’s telegraphed overhand rights were falling short of Fury, who was hitting with ease.

Then followed possibly Fury’s most devastating punch of his legendary career. Fury teed it up with a left jab, and when Whyte surged in, he unleashed the vicious uppercut.

Whyte fell back on the canvas. He summoned the warrior spirit he talked of before the duel, but as he rose to his feet, it was evident that he was in no position to continue.

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *